08 8532 6666   |   prosales@lm.net.au
Register for Alerts   |   Login to Alerts

Murray Bridge RLA197827

61 Bridge Street Murray Bridge

08 8532 6666

08 8532 6229


Contact us





What to do in neighbourhood disputes

25 Aug 2014 murraybridge 0 Comment

Everyone is entitled to live peacefully in their home regardless of where they live, or whether they rent or own the property. No person is expected to tolerate excessive noise, or physical or verbal abuse from a neighbour.

While most disputes between neighbours can be handled without hardship or aggression, there can be times disputes escalate. Recently a man was hospitalised when he asked neighbours to keep the noise down at a late-night party, only to be attacked by the party-goers.
If you feel your safety or the safety of others is at risk contact the police on 131 444 (or 000 in an emergency).

Otherwise, we suggest:

• Talk to your neighbours first. Remain calm and courteous no matter how your neighbour behaves. If your concern is about an ongoing issue, such as a barking dog, or unpleasant smell, or a protruding plant or broken fence, choose a time when all parties appear relaxed for the conversation, rather than during any inflamed situation.

• If the problem continues, or escalates, and the initial talk with the neighbour hasn’t helped, keep a diary or a record over a period of weeks with dates of the problem, your action taken, and any result of that action.

• Report to the appropriate authority, e.g. Council, Environmental Protection Board, Dog & Cat Management Board.

• Understand what constitutes disruptive behaviour. It isn’t noise and activity associated with normal daily life, such as children playing. Nor is it neighbours who don’t comply with your own tastes, preferences or standards.

This information is taken from: https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing-property-and-land

Leave a comment

Copyright © 2018 Professionals Real Estate  |  Privacy Policy & Disclaimer  |  Made in Melbourne by iProperty